Saturday, August 13, 2016

Art Series: Something old is new again - Ghost Sign - Artifacts Series by Anstead

Example of a typical ghost sign in Lehi Utah
You have noticed them from time to time, but did you know that they're a "thing"?
 
You have ghost signs painted on the wall of some building in your city. I find them endlessly fascinating. They tell a story from long ago and because they often have intrinsic historic value as a local artifact, they are left untouched.

We are a culture that has been saturated with pop culture, and much of it is due to advertising. These relics of the past are hand painted ad often feature vintage design style, vintage fonts, and word usage that is archaic by today's vernacular. In other words ... they are cool as heck!

I have produced a new series of artwork that fits both the abstract category and the mixed media category. They will be found in the mixed media category on my site. The point of my work is to pull from the ghost sign feel and combine them with other pop culture relics that build more particular theme. If I did a painting of just the Keely's Ice Cream ghost sign, it would be fine, but I think a camera cool make a quicker job of it. It is more interesting to me to use my background as a designer and see where the starting point of a ghost sign takes me.
Ski Equipment-Quality Duality 36x36 - ©2016 Stewart Anstead

Here is one example of the pieces I am producing. In this piece, you see an abstract placement of different harmonious colors arranged in a balanced way. It is supposed to stand on its own as an abstract as if you can't see any more images you recognize. Then you notice word usage that says ski equipment for sale, basically, in what looks like an ad. Look a bit deeper and you see images that make up the under painting. You begin to see people and places and landmarks and other ephemera that relate to that skiing theme. 

This is a concept that I have worked hard to develop so that I can apply it to a myriad of themes and that will work in any size configuration.
Ski Equipment-Quality Duality - Side Detail

Also, you will note that the sides of the work are not just painted a solid color but is actually an extension of the theme. In this case, the theme is vintage skiing so the sides are made up of early newspaper pages from a ski resort town. This piece has vintage generic skiing as it's theme, but has Park City elements. The newspaper is the old Park Record.

I would love to hear what you think of these pieces. I will post the next few when they are completed. If you'd like to chat about acquiring these, or if you'd like to discuss creating some that fit your own favorite theme, you're welcome to contact me and we can go over your ideas.


No comments:

Post a Comment